What are the legal requirements for operating a school minibus?
A school minibus can be not only expensive but also hugely time-consuming for the person responsible for ensuring that it is fully operational at all times, which is why a growing number of schools are signing up to a minibus leasing contract with Benchmark.
Indeed, leasing a school minibus from Benchmark not only makes financial sense but also means that we assume responsibility for keeping the vehicle properly maintained and roadworthy.
The leasing arrangement makes it possible for schools to fund the minibus through a small payment each month, and, where trips are paid for by contributions from parents and the PTA, it is possible to allocate a part of those payments towards the cost of the minibus – thereby reducing the amount of money the school has to find each month.
And your colleagues will no longer have to spend time ensuring that the school minibus is fully operational at all times as the team at Benchmark will organise for the vehicle to be MOT’d, serviced and repaired* – all of which is included in the lease price.
Unfortunately, however, there is something that we can’t provide and that is the driver. But this is not to say that we can’t help out.
You can find a number of documents covering the legal requirements for operating a school minibus at http://learningoutside.info/index.php/operating-a-minibus-legal-stuff and http://www.minibusleasing.co.uk/specs-options-pricing.php.
At these links you will find:
- Who can drive
- Operator’s Licence – what types are there and do you need one?
- Seatbelts – the rules
- Taking a minibus abroad
- Towing with a minibus
- Tachographs – what are they and do you need one?
- Signage for School minibuses
- Driver training
- DVLA Guide to Driving a Minibus
- School Teacher Licence Requirement Flow Chart
- § Freight Transport Association
- Operating Licensing Guides
- DirectGov – Legislation surrounding driving a minibus
- The Community Transport Association
- Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)